Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Interesting public endorsements of marijuana research or legalization

I was actually pretty surprised that California voters voted down an initiative that would have legalized marijuana in the State of California (I mean, California!?)  Personally, I think it's medicinal use should be weighed against it's known side-effects just like any other medication.  I doubt many patients would want to take a prescription pill for pain that could cause drowsiness, multitasking problems, lowered sperm count or increased appetite.  However, research on marijuana as a medicine has been limited by its illegality.  It's pretty tough to do clinical trials in which the participants in the study have to admit to committing a crime.

Marijuana Majority (h/t Boing Boing) is a pretty interesting website on endorsements regarding the legalization or legitimization of marijuana research and/or use.

I'm not surprised to see endorsements from Willie Nelson or Kanye West, but I'm gratified to see endorsements from the California Medical Association and the American Medical Association.  On the other hand, I'm more surprised the see endorsements from The Economist and the Financial Times, not to mention from so many prosecutors and law enforcement officers.  And Glenn Beck?  Sarah Palin?  Wow.  Just wow.

I never thought Pat Robertson and I would agree on anything.  Who knew?  Mysterious ways, indeed...

No comments: