Monday, January 20, 2014

On Being an Aging Parent

Oh, it's so true!

Slate carried a great piece today written from the perspective of being (rather than caring for) an aging parent.  I had a fit laughing about "the look" when you forget a name or a date.

Don't get me wrong here: I don't think dementia is funny.  I am simply aware that forgetting the names of things is in the Top Five ist of things people see a doctor for, where there is nothing seriously wrong with them.

At the same time, I am sort of surprised that the risk at 85 years of age or older of developing Alzheimer's disease is 50%.  To me, I guess that sounds pretty good considering (1) the average life expectancy is 78-82, and (2) that means there's a 50% chance at that age and older of NOT developing Alzheimer's disease!  I guess I'm more of a glass half-full kind of guy than I thought.

Do remember (no joke intended) that it has been shown that folks at 85 and older who maintain normal short-term memory tend to regularly exercise, socialize and get out of the house.

No comments: