Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Word on Whole-Body Scans (this time in airports)

I find it ironic at just the time that renewed concern is being expressed by both doctors and patients about radiation exposure in medical tests such as CT's and heart scans, we are evidently willing to accept what amounts to radiation exposure with unknown health risks in the interests of a virtual strip search to get on a plane. Given the way that medicines and tests often only reveal side-effects after widespread use, I hope that we don't see a rash of "problems" in pilots, flight crews and business travelers in the intermediate future.

I must say, I do find myself in agreement with Captain Smith that our response to the terrorist actions between 1985-89 was much more calm, determined and measured and less self-defeating.

No comments: