Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Health Care Reform

So, I'm getting a lot of folks asking how I feel about the passage of the health care reform bill (H.R. 3590- the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act), and how I think it's going to affect me and other doctors.

Mind you, these are my opinions based on following these issues for years as a doctor.

If you want to read the actual documents of this bill and of the bill that will proceed through the Senate for the President's signature (H.R. 4872- the Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010), this article provides links to the full source documents.

More manageable, plain English 20+ page summaries of these bills (pdf) can be found here and here. This and this are for folks who like FAQ lists.

Generally, I like what I see.

I think it's great that the first things on the table that should occur in the next months include extending coverage for young folks to 26 years old on their parents' insurance, setting up insurance pools for people with pre-existing medical conditions, closing the Part D "donut hole" and covering preventive care for MediCare patients, and doing away with insurance company practices of capping coverage, refusing to insure patients with medical conditions, and stopping your insurance when you become ill.

Do I agree with requiring people to have insurance?
Do. The. Math. Or, consider whether you really feel okay about your taxes and premiums paying for the medical care of a healthy 20 or 30 year old who decided not to pay for insurance and then develops diabetes or has an accident. Did requiring drivers to have insurance cause premiums to go so high that you can't afford to drive? Or, is it better that if you get in an accident and the other guy is at fault that his insurance covers it because he has to have it?

Do I think it's going to bankrupt health care?
No. I believe the Congressional Budget Office.

Will it "cut down on Medicare"?
No. Remember the closing the donut hole part?

Is it okay to pay for this with taxes?
Please. We're talking tax hikes of 3.8% on unearned income of people filing over $200,000/year, or couples filing jointly over a quarter million dollars a year. People in these tax brackets have seen a 300% increase in their earnings in the past 10 years. The rest of the country (adjusted for inflation) has stayed flat over this time. I believe the super-rich can and should afford it.

But, what about my own insurance?
No downside. There's nothing in this law to keep you from staying on your present insurance if you like it. However, you might find it reassuring not to have a $1-3 million dollar lifetime cap on it if you develop and expensive problem like a cancer or a bad car accident. Also, formation of risk-sharing pools in each state should make it possible for you to get your own affordable insurance if you get fired, go to part-time, retire before 65, decide to go into business for yourself, or just don't want to go to Kaiser if the boss decides to change everyone to Kaiser. Bummer.

The government? Involved in health care?
The government already is involved; MediCare, MediCal and the VA. As far as I can tell, the private sector insurances have otherwise had free reign since World War II. I am as frustrated as any doctor with run ins with Medicare, but I also have run its with Kaiser, Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I am perfectly happy to let the government have a go at it. Heck, the seem to do just fine with having a military, enforcing the law and putting out fires. I also must say I've never had a letter or parcel lost by the Post Office.

How do I think it will affect me and my practice?
Dunno, but I remain optimistic. I look forward to not losing patients because they lose their jobs or their boss goes cheap (Kaiser). I look forward to seeing my college students and recent grads without the burden of them having to pay out of pocket. Hey, there's a good chance my own insurance rates will go down and/or that I could more easily retire before 65! Having an influx of available new patients who now have insurance? Sounds good.

Next? More jobs!

1 comment:

Betty said...

I like your balanced approach. There are always pros and cons to something as complex and political as this, and there is no perfect solution. The polarization and hysteria on both sides of this issue are lamentable.